Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What I'm Learning Wednesday: Faithfulness

Well, I have a confession to make. I have not done well in spending concentrated time with the Lord this week. I haven't been reading and I haven't been praying like I should. So, with this confession comes a resolution to do better next week. I hated to tell my accountability partner that yesterday at our weekly meeting. Next week will not be the case, though!

Okay, with my confession, I still need to tell you what I'm learning! Aren't you just chomping at the bit to find out?! In Sunday School this past week, we had a wonderful lesson on Hosea, which gets to me every time I read it. If you aren't familiar with the story, Hosea is called by God to marry a prostitute, someone he knew would be unfaithful to him. Later on in the story, Hosea had to go and buy his wife back from a sex slave trade. Can you imagine?! (That is the very, very short version of the story...there are lots more details I am leaving out)

Above all else, this story always reminds me of the faithfulness of God. He created us knowing the heartbreak that awaited Him. He chose to have a relationship with us, even though He knew we would be unfaithful to Him. He longs for closeness to us when He knows we are going to push Him away with our thoughts and actions. I have been doing just that. I have been unfaithful to Him with my thoughts and actions because I have not spent the necessary time investing in our relationship. He is faithful, though, when I am unfaithful.

Even though He remains faithful to me, this does not give me an excuse to remain unfaithful to Him. If I truly want to exemplify Christ through my life, I have to put in the work to know who He is and what He expects of me. I hope you will do the same. Remember He is faithful. He is constant. And He longs to be close to you.

1 comment:

  1. Good lesson, one we all need to hear. The words in the song "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" is a wonderful reminder of His faithfulness.
    "Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
    Look full in His wonderful face,
    And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
    In the light of His glory and grace."

    ReplyDelete