Friday, April 8, 2011

My Sewing Project: A Car Mat!

I'm so excited to finally show you my fun sewing project from a few weeks ago! I have some sweet friends from college who recently adopted their first child from Ukraine. Their son is so adorable! I wanted to make him something special that he could use both now and in the future. I decided to try my hand at a toy car mat.


I saw some on various blogs, but they all just had one straight stretch of road. I wanted my car mat to have a little more action, so here is what I camp up with:


I'm not really sure why that picture is showing upside down. Anyway, you get the point. I found some cute car fabric at Joann Fabrics and got to work. This mat used a half yard of fabric for each piece. I cut the fabric on the factory fold, so you could potentially get two mats out of one half yard. I didn't even think to take pictures of the process because I don't use a pattern and make things up as I go along. Anyway, I used two pieces of fabric (inner and outer fabric), felt for the interfacing, and gray felt for the road. I drew a pattern of a road on a piece of paper and then cut it out of the gray felt. Then, I laid everything out and sewed it up! The mat has a velcro fastener to keep everything snug. I'm going to make another one soon for someone else who has ordered one, so I will be sure to take pictures again and write up a tutorial for you. I am still just beginning to sew, so if I can do it, anyone can do it!

Here are some more pictures of the finished product:

The cars in their homes...


And on the track!




The best part about it is the mat folds up so the cars can always stay with it! I think it would be great to use as a quiet toy to keep little ones occupied during meetings and other times where they don't need to be running around acting wild and crazy. I really hope that my friends' son likes his gift. Welcome home Artem!

4 comments:

  1. This is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much are you wanting for this track?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jesus, too! Thank you for sharing this fun mat! Would it be okay if I share this with Operation Christmas Child Shoebox packers( online information/ groups) ?
    It is a charitable outreach for underprivileged children, and children who have suffered trauma, those in areas of disaster, and those who have suffered trauma. I help a local group of volunteers to collect the new, suggested kinds of basic and fun items, to fill a shoeboxes(box size, etc., details online) , for children, aged 2-14 with new only items, like school supplies( much needed in many areas , to allow children to begin school, for the first time, ), personal care items( things like towels, washcloth, comb, bar soap, toothbrush- no liquids, creams, lotions, glass, breakables, food allowed, due to regulations/ Customs. We also send clothing, a comfort item, like a cuddly stuffed toy/ blanket), a WOW! gift- like a soccer ball, pump, pins, doll, Hotwheels, art supplies, backpack, harmonica, shoes, outfit of clothing, etc.

    ReplyDelete